Wednesday, June 25, 2008

This One and That One

It's really funny, but I've actually been keeping an online journal for many years now. I think I created this one to be a bit more professional about the whole thing, but today I realized, "Who am I kidding?" Professional is definitely not the word that one would attribute to me. I'm too light-hearted and cynical for that. And yes, you can be both. So after writing an awesome update in my personal journal, and trying to think of what provocative thing I could write here, I realized that I really needed to stop having split personalities.

I am me. I worry about putting too much about myself out there for the cyber world, but let's be real, does anonymity really exist in this modern, Internet-driven, global world? So I decided that I would just copy and paste it here for you guys to read. Enjoy!

----

I suppose it didn't help that I woke up in an ugh state of mind. I blame this on many things. First the itunes project.

So as I mentioned last time, I bought an external hard drive and have been in the process of moving all my music to it so that it can be the default library for my itunes. In the meantime, I have also been converting all my m4p files into mp3 files so that Maika can access my music library and start to rebuild hers which she lost completely after her computer died.

This has been a time consuming process. What's made it worse is that my laptop has been shutting off for no reason in the middle of these conversions. After removing spyware, trying different electrical outlets, and disconnecting my external hard drive, I've come to the conclusion that my laptop just isn't equipped to handle such hard work. I think it was overheating and turning itself off, so now I leave it off the entire day while I'm at work and then when I get home I use it to it's max potential and then shut it off for the night. I'm on Day 2 of seeing if this works. It seemed to work last night. My Paint Shop Pro program on the other hand ...

The second thing is I haven't had a chance to write. This is my fault, but as you can see from above, my laptop has been preoccupied. It's amazing how depressed I can get when I'm not writing something. Considering the amount of plot bunnies running around my head, I've realized that I won't have enough time in my life to write everything I want to. This depressed me.

The third thing causing me to be ugh is my job. Current economic and social trends dictate that I should just feel lucky that I have a job, and I am lucky. I know this. But it doesn't change the fact that I cannot be motivated to roll out of bed to come here every day. On the bright side, with summer hours I get every other Friday off, and this is a very good thing.

The final ugh came with the news that George Carlin died. What's amazing is that I never realized how old he actually was when I was younger. He's one of those people that I just assumed would always be there, and I don't like the idea that he's not around anymore. He was famous for his seven words that you couldn't say, but the routine that always stuck out in my mind was this one. Why are we here? Plastic!



Well enough of the ughs, now it's time for the yays! I'm going to Phoenix in August to visit my lovely and wonderful friend, Keren. The last time I traveled to Phoenix, it was in October and so hot I couldn't breathe. Obviously why I chose to go in AUGUST. I'm pretty excited about this and I'm going to try and pull off a road trip from Phoenix to LA to see Sommer in a play. I'm pretty excited to see her act again. She's amazing!

Another yay is music related, but in a positive not itunes related way. As many of you know, I'm a bit of a music junkie. I have a lot of favorite bands. A LOT. Well one of my favorite bands is a band from Northern Ireland called Ash. While listening to my iPod the other day, their song "Sometimes" came on and I realized that it was probably one of my favorite songs of theirs. So I went on YouTube to try and find a live performance. Not only did they have a live performance, but it turned out there was a video for it as well! I didn't even know it had been released as a single. So I sat at work falling in love with the song all over again. The video is pretty awesome, and I think it fits the song really well. Check it out.



Coming across this video reminded me of how music is always my biggest muse for stories. I have so many short stories that I wrote that were inspired by songs. In a perfect world, I would publish them with a mix CD that included all the songs. Wouldn't that be cool? Maybe I'll do an online version of that. Ha!

Last but not least, last night was the BET Awards, and Usher killed it! He's so awesome and I love watching him dance. Chris Brown was cool too, but when Ciara came out to dance with him, that performance became that much fiercer. I miss great dancing and great performances. Alicia Keys brought SWV, En Vogue, and TLC out to sing with her which had me on the floor in shock. Stellar! And Al Green received the lifetime achievement award. My roomies and I were singing along to "Let's Stay Together" just as loud as everyone in the audience. I loved it!

So that's the end of this entry, brought to you by the words ugh and yay. Huzzah!

No comments: