Monday, December 10, 2012

Behind the Scenes of "Another Last Winter"


I finally finished my first backer story, promised to the three people who promoted my Vizcaya Kickstarter campaign the most.  I seriously can't thank the three of you enough, and I hope you enjoy your stories.  This is the first one.  It's called "Another Last Winter" and you can read it on my WritersCafe page.

Here's a little behind the scenes info on how the story came together!

While I was running the Kickstarter campaign for Vizcaya, I ran a contest for anyone who went above and beyond in getting the word out.  Three people won and the prize was a special story written just for them.  I finally finished the first one.

This story was for Laura who likes angsty type of stories with some romance thrown in.  I had each person fill out a questionnaire to try and tailor the story to their liking, and she mentioned in hers that she liked Radiohead and was a fan of Salinger, both of which I knew I could use as inspiration.

I started with the song.  My favorite Radiohead song of all time is "Let Down" so I chose some of the lyrics to try and give me a frame for what I wanted to write.  Then I came across a few pics on tumblr that I thought fit well with the song.  This is when I decided to come up with my own genre, "Pop Culture Inspired Fiction!"  Catchy right?  Okay, maybe it's not as catchy as "Fan Fiction" but sometimes you see some timely pop cultural images and it all comes together in your head and you don't want to write a story about that celebrity, but you want to write a story about the mood captured in the image.  So PCIF was born in my head.

The pics on tumblr that got the plot bunny forming in my head were the ones of Louis Tomlinson recently in New York City looking properly emo and angsty.  
Taking off and landing
The emptiest of feelings
Picture
(Credit: stylinwinter.tumblr.com/)
Then I saw this pic of Selena Gomez and thought it'd be cool to bring her in as the protagonist's sister.  This is where I thought I'd channel a bit of Salinger's Franny & Zooey, creating a unique dynamic between brother and sister.
Don't get sentimental
It always ends up drivel
Picture
(Credit: selenadaily.tumblr.com/)
Then I saw the pic of Louis and his adorable girlfriend from the same photo set and that’s when I decided that my main protagonist was going to fall in love with a fairy.  I have no idea why this picture made me think of that.  Inspiration is weird.
Let down and hanging around
Picture
(Credit: fallenforpayne.tumblr.com)
And then someone reblogged a gorgeous winter photo set and I saw the following three images in a row.
And one day….I am going to grow wings
Picture
(Credit: selenamg.tumblr.com)
And that’s when I knew she had to be a winter fairy.  So with the lyrics of Radiohead, and Salinger’s influence, "Another Last Winter" was born.

Check it out and let me know what you think!  In the meantime, I’ll be scrolling through tumblr seeing what hits me creatively for the remaining two stories.

No comments: